Monday, June 27, 2011

See Through Car



I have to admit to an addiction I have recently adopted... watching Barrett-Jackson auctions for hours at a time. I doubt I will ever be like the guy this weekend that bought seemingly every car that came across the stage, but I will admit to envy. This weekend the cars were of the mild resto-mod form where they were fully restored, but not exactly to specs. Like the 58 Woody that was spotless, had an entirely new interior true to the original in many ways and a new fuel injected V8. It sold for less than $30K and will probably provide years of head turning drive time for it's eventual owner... all for much less than a dime a dozen used Cadillac Escalade. Don't get me wrong, I love Escalades, but you must admit that a restored Woody will absolutely get more stares than the most perfectly maintained new Caddy.

There is however a line that I would draw in the type of car I would purchase. While I absolutely see the benefit and investment potential of museum showpiece one of a kind cars, I wouldn't buy one if it couldn't be driven. Take for example this stunning plexiglass 1939 Pontiac that was created for the Worlds Fair. It is absolutely a car that would stop everyone in their tracks, but it does not need to be driven. It needs to be in the Petersen Museum in Southern California for people to see. Check out this blog for the cars specifics and if you are interested, where and when it will be auctioned off next month. Since there is only one you can bet it will go for a large figure... but I won't be bidding.

Autopartstomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the information. Seems valuable. If you are looking forward for honda genuine auto parts contact PartsByMG based out in Singapore

    ReplyDelete