Thursday, June 16, 2011

Aftermarket Car Radio


I am currently in the market for a new car stereo for an out of service Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor That I bought cheap just recently. If you have followed this blog for any time at all you probably have come to understand that I treat a vehicle as a functional item to get me around. If I was worried about image I don't think I would be driving around a $500 car. That being said, I still want a car that performs well, has cold air conditioning, and a great stereo system. Even the newest cars out there don't always have the newest technology installed from the factory. It can be upgraded for an astronomical price, but you should never buy the highest level sound system from the manufacturer. The markup on those units is unbelievable.

Instead you should go to the aftermarket and check out some of the available options to upgrade your existing system, or even replace your brand new unit with a top of the line model (for less than half what you would have paid at the dealer). For a wide selection I typically go to Crutchfield because I appreciate all of the installation tools they add for free. I could probably find the same unit elsewhere for less, but sometimes the pigtails and fascias needed for the swapover add up to quite a bit... and their warranty and customer service are wonderful.

I also ran across this new device on CNET reviews that will be coming out soon. If you like your stock unit, this upgrade would be really nice. The main reason I want an upgraded head unit is for the auxiliary plug so I can plug in my handheld and either play music from my playlist or stream Pandora through Bluetooth to the car speakers. The days of five buttons for the local radio station are gone. Even CD's are old news because you have to change them out every 45 minutes. I would prefer the flexibility of playing my 200 hours of stored music randomly or allowing an app from my phone anticipate and play new music that my online profile shows I would like.

Autopartstomorrow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment