Friday, May 27, 2011

Does Beauty Automatically Mean More $


I was having a discussion the other day with a fellow car guy and we brought up the obvious correlation between beautiful style and a high price tag. Case in point, check out the new Bugatti 16C Galibier in the pictures. I don't know the price tag, but I expect it will be out of most of our range. While I somewhat understand the why, I also believe that there is a huge opportunity there for someone who could set aside their greed for the pursuit of volume. Ford figured out how to do it in the 60's when they released the Pony sized Mustang. I might add here that their success has carried that company now for decades.

I see the Korean manufacturers are now utilizing that same formula with the new offerings from KIA and Hyundai. Their new base model vehicles do not look basic at all. Combine that concept with the 40 MPG number that they seem to be hitting with many of their cars and I think we are seeing the groundwork being laid for a long and successful future. Domestic manufacturers are doing a good job, but they need to take notice of this trend and show us an econo-box that elicits the kind of love and loyalty that the Mustang did in the 60's.

Autopartstomorrow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment