Monday, May 23, 2011

Auto Parts for an Opel GT



One of my first learning experiences pertaining to auto parts was during High School when I worked at a full service Chevron gas station in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Back then, service stations not only pumped your gas but would also perform oil changes, tire balancing and rotation, and many other full service auto mechanic car repairs. My job was mainly the light service work, oil changes, pump the gas, collect the money and beginning service writer duties. When someone would drop off their car for repair, I would write their information on the ticket and ask as many related questions as possible so the mechanic could trouble shoot their auto repair as quickly as possible. (Remember- No Cell Phones for quick contact) After the mechanic determined what the issue was, he would give me a list of parts needed and I would call around to try to find them and get the auto parts prices.

A local customer had a really cool 1970 Opel GT, baby blue, with a "When I grow up I want to be a Corvette" bumper sticker. The downside was that it was constantly broken down, parked on the curb and waiting for special order parts that might, or might not, help get it back on the road for another week or two. Although it was a beautiful car, I learned that there are just some cars where the repair cost and availability of auto parts make them fall into my "Cost too much to own" category.

It is funny how certain aspects of our jobs make their way into our everyday life. Since that time I have always considered repair cost and availability of auto parts as a factor in which vehicle to buy. It is probably why I now consider a car to be a functional item rather than a vanity purchase. I suppose I would look at it differently if I had gobs of disposable cash, but for now I will continue to buy used cars that are inexpensive to repair... and drive them until it is time to call the wrecker to pull it to the local "Pull a Part" location.

Autopartstomorrow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment